Attention Barton County artists and photographers – it’s time to have some good, old fashioned Halloween fun!
Monsters on Main Street
When the Arts Council runs a photography contest, the first rule is usually that every picture must be “as taken,” with no manipulation using Photoshop or other computer graphics programs.
WELL, NOT THIS TIME! For the “Monsters on Main Street” competition, you not only CAN manipulate your images any way you want, WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO DO SO!
Here is the basic premise of the “Monsters on Main Street” competition:
1. Take a photograph here in the Lamar/Barton County area of a common Main Street landmark everyone who lives here would recognize, such as the Courthouse, stores on the Square, the Plaza Theater, Harry Truman’s birthplace, the grade school or high school, the football field, McDonalds/Sonic/Pizza Hut, a cemetery, the library, Walmart, the laundromat, Wheeler Park, well known area homes — any place we locals would be sure to recognize.
2. Drop one or more monsters into the scene, by whatever means at your disposal. Whether that means Photoshoping images into the picture, having real people in costume pose for the shot, physically pasting in cut out pictures collage-style — whatever you can dream up, it’s all good! The sky’s the limit! Take this basic one-two concept, landmark + monsters, and let your imagination soar!
3. Be as creative as you can – that’s all there is to it!
4. All entries will be displayed throughout the month of October at The Gallery, 206 W. 10th St., Lamar.
5. Visitors will be able to vote for their favorite entry, and the “People’s Choice” winner will receive a $50.00 cash prize!
6. The “Monsters on Main Street” contest IS NOT LIMITED TO PHOTOGRAPHS ONLY! Artists, feel free to express the premise outlined above in any medium of your choosing – painting, drawing, sculpture, collage, mixed media, etc. Put a local landmark and monsters together any way you want, and you’re in the show and contest!
7. There is NO LIMIT on the number of times you can enter! Create as many awesome scenes as you want! The more works you enter, the better your chances of winning the cash prize!
8. The Arts Council reserves the right to refuse any entry that does not follow the “ground rules” below:
Some Ground Rules:
“Monsters on Main Street” is intended to be an exercise in good, old fashioned creative Halloween fun! By the word “Monster,” we are thinking of the creepy creatures of classic Hollywood movies, such as vampires, werewolves, ghosts and ghouls, gargoyles and goblins, Frankenstein, zombies, skeletons, mummies, Godzilla, King Kong, the Blob, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc. Classic creatures of myth and folklore would be great too, i.e., Big Foot, Momo the Monster (anybody remember him?), the Loch Ness Monster, flying saucers, aliens, giant black panthers, etc.
Just keep it fun – and Family Friendly!
Kitsch and camp are great, genuinely spooky is wonderful, strange and mysterious are just what we have in mind! However, ABSOLUTELY – NO crazy killers, NO chainsaws, NO axe murders, NO blood, NO gore, NO violence, NOTHING even mildly suggestive in an “adult” way – PERIOD. Let’s make “Monsters on Main Street” a fun and fascinating show that everyone of any age can safely enjoy!
HOW TO ENTER:
THE DEADLINE FOR ENTERING HAS BEEN EXTENDED!!! You can now bring your awesome entries in throughout the month of October! We will collect “People’s Choice” ballots only during the last week of the month, to allow the maximum number of entries to be on display when voting begins. The ballots will be counted, and the $50 cash prize winner announced on Halloween! Bring entries ready to hang to The Arts Council Gallery, 206 W 10th St., Lamar, just west of the Square on 10th St. The Gallery is open every Tuesday through Friday from 11:00AM to 5:30PM.
Questions? Comments? Email The Arts Council at ArtsCouncilofBartonCounty@yahoo.com. Thanks! We can’t wait to see what you come up with!